Why choose to study at Health Careers Language Academy?
Health Careers Language Academy (HCLA) is an English language academy founded by the Institute of Health and Management to deliver English language programs.
HCLA programs are specialised and tailored for healthcare professionals. We are committed to delivering quality English programs to students. HCLA can offer the following to students:
- Programs catering to many English levels – HCLA offers programs catering to language learners at many English skill levels.
- Help to develop your communication skills – You will be speaking as much as possible and learning to communicate in different kinds of professional and personal situations.
- Comprehensive, specialised, academically rigorous courses – Our programs are designed to help you improve as fast as possible and reach your goals, whether you need to learn English for travel, for your job or for school.
- Smaller class sizes – Small classes mean more personal attention for each student. You will improve quickly because you will have many opportunities to communicate with your classmates and teachers.
- Professional, friendly teachers and helpful support staff – HCLA courses are taught by carefully selected, highly qualified, professional language instructors. They know how to make their class enjoyable and informative at the same time. Our support staff are also there to assist you in a variety of ways.
- Modern, state of the art facilities – Our HCLA campus is located in a nice building with many windows, study spaces and high ceilings. Our classrooms are clean, sunny, airy and spacious. There is a computer room, student study areas and free Wi-Fi.
The HCLA Campus
Our Sydney campus is in Parramatta, a suburb of Sydney, New South Wales (NSW), a short train ride from the city centre. Our campus provides students with easy access to many hip cafes and bars, a major shopping centre, a public transport terminus (with regular bus and train services), cultural facilities, and other major educational institutions. With large classrooms, a dedicated computer lab, library resource facilities, student study spaces, a spacious student lounge and large student kitchen, it provides great spaces for learning and studying. This is all combined with dedicated, highly qualified teachers and support staff to provide students with the optimal learning environment to improve their English.
Health Careers Language Academy offers a variety of courses to suit your needs. We have programs in place to the cater to students of a wide variety of English levels, and students can progress through our programs as their English improves. We are utilising innovative delivery methods to offer on-shore and offshore courses. Some of our popular courses include:
General English is a flexible program with new students starting their course every week. Students may choose to study for a short time or a longer time. Each level of the course is designed to cater to a different English level. With English placement testing before, during and after each program, students will be able to progress at varying pace. If the level is too easy to difficult, there is some option to change levels. The available levels in General English are:
- Elementary (12 weeks)
- Pre-Intermediate (12 weeks)
- Intermediate (12 weeks)
- Upper-Intermediate (12 weeks)
The aims of this course are to help learners to develop the English skills that are useful to:
- Meet the English language proficiency requirements for undertaking future courses of study
- Understand and participate in the Australian education system
- Enjoy participating in Australian life and society
English language Examination Preparation courses are available for International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and Occupational English Test (OET).
Our exam preparation courses enable students to:
- Develop their confidence in using English in the workplace and social settings
- Improve their English vocabulary and comprehension
- Develop a sound understanding of their desired test format
- Learn study techniques for all four papers (Reading, Writing, Listening & Speaking)
- Practice different types of test questions
- Work with a suitably qualified and dedicated instructor
Other courses we offer
We also offer other specialised courses with unique online delivery modes including:
- Practical English Program
- Healthcare English Test
- English Language Proficiency Program (ELPN)
English for Academic Purposes for Healthcare Professionals
The English for Academic Purposes program consists of two levels:
- English for Academic Purposes 1 (EAP1) (12 weeks)
- English for Academic Purposes 2 (EAP2) (12 weeks)
The EAP course is of a total 24 weeks duration. Upon completion of the course, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Write academic essays that include citation of a variety of sources and that set out a structured argument
- Demonstrate through role playing and simulation the ability to communicate around advanced healthcare topics with colleagues and other stakeholders in healthcare
- Communicate advanced healthcare and health science information through structured oral presentations
- Read and understand academic and scientific literature in English
- Read and write documents used in healthcare practice such as care plans and reports
- Perform oral presentations in accordance with higher education conventions
- Gain registration with professional bodies
Pathways to further study
Progression from English study to further studies in other fields is possible and common for many students. Students who successfully complete their English programs to the requisite benchmark will be able to enter into further study. Health Careers Language Academy currently has articulations in place with Institute of Health and Nursing Australia (for vocational course) and Institute of Health and Management (for postgraduate courses). Agreements for articulation with other course providers will become available in time.
Health Careers Language Academy offers many important student support services to help you adjust to your new environment including:
- Admissions and student support
- Examination preparation programs and regular skills workshops
- General advice regarding visas and health cover
- Regular social events and excursion activities
- Careers advice
- Accommodation Advice
- Online learning resources through our Student Portal
- I.T Support for our advanced online learning platforms